I'm interested in creating a 'granny unit' (ADU) on my property, what are the rules?

ADUs, or accessory dwelling units (sometimes called 'granny units' or 'second units' are smaller homes that may be added to any residentially or commercially zoned property with an existing residence on the property.  See the City's Housing Resources page for more information: https://www.ci.sebastopol.ca.us/City-Government/Departments-Services/Planning/Housing-Resources

Sebastopol also allows Junior Accessory Dwelling Units (JADU), which are a way to convert a portion of an existing resience into a rental suite.  For more information on both ADUs and JADUs, please see our ADU Primer.